From: Dave (djp_at_comm.it)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 2002 - 12:15:52 BST

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 10:24, Georges Toth wrote:

> yesterday i thought my problems with logins not working, were solved, after
> adding support for /dev/pts, but they're not ;-(.
> ssh-root login works, but any other login doesn't work.
> in fact NO program works which accesses files.
> and even if logged in as root, and the user variable in shell, set to root,
> actions like hostname, end with an "must be root" error.
> and logs are filled with "cannot open file, permission denied" errors.

file access is in the glibc library. If binary incompatibility is there,
you can expect this and all sort of other problems.

> i seem to be forced to switch back to redhat ;-(..... hopefully it works with
> rh8...

Hmm...

Think of rh8 as RedHat 8.0. The .0 is very important, in my opinion.
Think of the respin of redhat 7.0. Think of all the problems with 6.0.
Get the point?

Now, think of what you'll gain with 3.2 versus the old gcc, and try to
answer some questions.

Do you get faster programs? By how much?
Do you get smaller programs?
Do you loose compatibility?
Why do you have to disable some optimizations for the code to work or to
compile cleanly?
and... at the end... Is this all worth it?

Dave.

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3