From: Lars Braeuer (lbraeuer_at_mpex.net)
Date: Thu 12 Sep 2002 - 13:35:38 BST

I don't know if this is a general (known) bug, or if it just happens on our machine.
The server is running SuSE 8.0 with the 2.4.19ctx-13 kernel patch and vserver 0.19.

When starting a vserver with the "vserver <vserver-name> start" command, there's no init
script executed in the specified runlevel, e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc3.d.

To check if the /etc/rc.d/rc script fails at the first check, which is...
test "$PREVLEVEL" = "$RUNLEVEL" && exit 0
...I added the following two lines to the top of the script:
echo "PRELEVEL " $PRELEVEL
echo "RUNLEVEL " $RUNLEVEL
Both variables PRELEVEL and RUNLEVEL are empty. Executing /sbin/runlevel in the vserver
also returns "unknown".

But a ps -ax within the vserver (vserver <vserver-name> enter), contains:
   PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
     1 ? S 0:04 init [3]

The file /var/run/utmp, which is accessed by /sbin/runlevel within the vserver is empty.
In the main system it is filled with some data.

It doesn't help to comment out the check I mentioned above.
Doing this brings up the following when starting the vserver:
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

cat /dev/console within the vserver shows:
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
blogd: can not open (null): No such file or directory
Master Resource Control: previous runlevel: , switching to runlevel:
Master Resource Control: runlevel has been reached
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hope this is a general issue that can be fixed.

Lars

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:42 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3