From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Fri 23 Aug 2002 - 00:15:05 BST

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, BrandonHoult wrote:

> So I got the debian image (mini-debian-vservers-020.tgz) and followed
> the instructions. Now it seems I can ssh to it, but I don't know the
> root password. *'ed; does not work. [...]

Passwords are stored as hashes of the actual password in /etc/shadow:

  root:P4$$W0RDH4$H:12345:0:99999:7:::

(Most of these fields are only relevant to `/etc/passwd' and are ignored in
the shadow password file). Replacing the password hash with a `*' means
that there is an *invalid* password hash and access will be denied (called
``starring-out'').

You can either delete the hash field completely and leave it empty: `root::'
(which means no password set). To set a a password that you already know,
paste in a password-hash copied out of an existing shadow or passwd file, or
a generated hash using the `htpasswd' program that comes with Apache.

It should be noted that the `sshd_config' in Nuno's image does not permit
logging in with empty passwords, unless you change it. Make the changes
with a standard $EDITOR (eg. emacs or vi) from within the *host* server:

  root_at_hostserver:~$ emacs /vservers/alpha/etc/shadow
  root_at_hostserver:~$ emacs /vservers/alpha/etc/sshd_config

I believe Nuno's image starts SSH on a weird port, so you'll probably want
to fix that before use--again, by using an editor on `etc/ssh/sshd_config'.

> /usr/lib/vserver/capchroot: relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2:
> symbol _nss_files_parse_pwent, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file
> libc.so.6 with link time reference

This is more worrying since I can't tell you why it is happening; The
dynamic linker--that `plugs in' functions from shared libraries upon an
application loading--is complaining that one the functions it is trying to
`plug in' isn't available in the `libnss' library.

(The `Name Switch Service' sets the order that glibc searchs for passwd,
group and network configuration files in `/etc/'; for instance by using
NIS/YP to lookup information from a remote server in preference to reading
the local passwd files.)

My take is that it is a glibc versioning problem, checking/updating the
versions in use in the image may cure it. Has anyone (apart from Nuno! :-)
had success, or failure with this latest 0.20 skeleton image?

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB