From: ragnar_at_this.is
Date: Tue 20 Aug 2002 - 11:29:01 BST

Hello,

I am one of the Debian admirers.

> Do you have a working unify for debian vse's?
> > Apart from dpkg, which tries to `chmod ug-s' setuid
> > binaries before it unlinks them for security reasons

The way I see it (tm) this is a Debian issue.

Also if we plan to have a Debian root server we should
figure out the depends etc..
For stuff like this alien (rpm -> deb converter)
just does not work well enough.
We should have a proper debian package or just use
Redhat as the root server.

> > I had to modify `dpkg' to be able to upgrade ssh.

Modifying dpkg is un-debian we must work with it the
way it is or get it changed to our requirements.

I did see some bashing on a Debian list about this.
Until it gets resolved I think I will just spend
some "little" extra money on disk space and not unify.

Regarding upgrading many servers. This is a general
problem not related to the fact that they are running
as virtual servers, so I also plan to use the same way
of upgrading / maintaining as I do on my current setup
of many boxes.

And for .deb proxy-ing. I like Squid but Apache has
proxypass and caching so where I have no other
requirement for Squid I just let Apache do the work.

Best
Ragnar Gudmundsson
ragnar_at_this.is

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:42 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3