From: Vlad (vlad_at_vlad.net)
Date: Tue 06 Aug 2002 - 20:51:31 BST

I do pretty much the same thing and I think you're going about this the
wrong way; Do not run ANYTHING on the main server except *maybe* sshd;
This is just my biased way of doing things of course, but I wouldn't enjoy
having the root server owned and having access to every single vserver
underneath. Just make sure that you edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
specify the ip address to bind sshd to. So turn off all the ftp/pop/etc
services on the root server.

As far as the individual vservers are concerned make sure you just go with
a barebones configuration and install all the services in the individual
server. This is both faster and gives you more flexibility (if you don't
give certain resellers sql servers or mail or whatever) - you can just
up2date them from a local server after the installation - it also allows
you to make custom packages, etc. You should be able to get barebone
server installations with apache/php/sql/mail/ftp in under 180 megs. At
least thats what we give out.

-Vlad

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Ian Douglas wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> After a few botched attempts at making a vserver and then trying to slim the
> vserver down to the bare necessities (and then realizeing I hadn't done a
> "vserver server1 enter" and jsut removed a few dozen RPM's I intended to
> keep on the main server), then trying to make a minimal install on the main
> server and a vserver copy from that then upgrading the main server (which
> failed horribly, couldn't use the RedHat 'upgrade' installation to add
> Xwindows for some reason; So I just did an "everything" install ... /sigh
> 3.5GB later ... good think hard drives are cheap, a handful of resellers
> will fill up my 60GB disk pretty quickly.
>
> I'm curious to know if any of you could offer some advice on this:
>
> I run a virtual web hosting service, and I have some resellers, each of whom
> I want to give a vserver. I'm having a hard time udnerstanding the services
> setup.
>
> On the main server, if I run 'setup' (RedHat 7.3), I see the typcial
> services, httpd, named, sendmail, etc., and then v_httpd, v_sendmail. On the
> MAIN server, should I UN-select the httpd/sendmail services and only run the
> v_ services?
>
> Will vdeliver from Linuxconf still work as intended, or should I need to
> make a v_linuxconf script? What about POP3 mail (ipop3, make a v_ipop3
> script?)?
>
> Thanks for the tip earlier with making a v_ftpd script, very helpful.
>
> Any other helpful hints would be appreciated greatly.
>
> -id

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:41 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3