From: Darryl (engled_at_trillion21.com)
Date: Mon 29 Jul 2002 - 15:35:39 BST

Could I get some help with a kernel install problem, if I need to go else
where just point me there.

I'm trying to install kernel-2.4.18ctxsmp-12.tar.gz from the Virtual
private server page. I am currently running 2.4.7-10smp, so I downloaded
linux-2.4.18.tar.gz and compiled with "make oldconfig" after restarting I
cant get either kernel to load and get this error:

Request_module[block_major_8 : root fs not mounted
VFS : Cannot open root device "805 or 08:05"
Kernel Panic : VFS : unable to mount root FS on 08:05

This is a RedHat 7.2 system on a dual proc Dell Poweredge 2500

I have a copy of my lilo.conf below and I did run /sbin/lilo after making
the changes. I ran rdev and got "/dev/sda5 /" so I think I have it set
right in lilo. It will still boot the vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp Kernel.

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10smp
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10smp.img
read-only
root=/dev/sda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
label=linux-up
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
read-only
root=/dev/sda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18ctxsmp-12
label=vserver
read-only
root=/dev/sda5

image=/boot/bzImage
Label=newkernel-18
read-only
root=/dev/sda5

Darryl

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:41 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3