From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Fri 28 Jun 2002 - 13:38:05 BST

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:17:03 -0500, Christian wrote

> no longer maintained isn't really true .. i just had no need and no time
> for it.
> BUT! it seems that i need the thing next time, so expect a new version
> within the next weeks (dont expect it to soon ... 3-4 weeks maybe).
>
> Question: anyone worked further on the multi-ip patch? so we can merge our
> work on it.

Lately I have experienced some problems with the current handling of the
loopback device. For now, we fold everything magically with the ipv4root.
This works for most software. But some server uses the loopback to
talk to themselve and check the origin of a request to tell them apart
(local request, external request). Using the current vserver, they can't make
the difference because any access to 127.0.0.1 is turned to the ipv4root.

So even for simple cases, we need to support the loopback and the ipv4root
separatly. So the multi-IP solution is needed.

I will release a new vserver kit this week. On the kernel side, there is nothing
new since ctx10 except a little change to allow binding to the broadcast
address.

The multi-IP is also needed to handle vservers inside vservers which is a neat
way to handle complete project control to a co-admin.

The major issue with multi-IP is to support "bind any" -> "bind all the IP specified"
and to have a fake loopback.