From: vserver.100.edmcman_at_spamgourmet.com
Date: Sun 23 Jun 2002 - 00:54:02 BST

Saturday, June 22, 2002, 7:11:59 PM, Ian Douglas - linux_at_wild98.com wrote:

IDlwc> Hey all.

IDlwc> I've been subscribed to the list for a few months now, lurking as it were. I
IDlwc> went to the vserver web site today and have a few quick questions I'm hoping
IDlwc> someone can answer.

IDlwc> 1. Is there a recommended brand and version of Linux to use with vserver? I
IDlwc> understand that vserver requires kernel 2.4 and has a 2.4.18 patch available
IDlwc> with the download, but curious to know about success with RedHat vs SuSE vs
IDlwc> Debian vs FreeBSD. Current target is RedHat 7.3, but have a version of
IDlwc> Debian handy and have FreeBSD around here somewhere...

Vserver works with any distribution, however it works better with SysV
based distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE I think)

IDlwc> 2. What is the recommendedation about hard drive setup? Should each vserver
IDlwc> be given its own partition? How large should that partition be? If all
IDlwc> vservers can be put on one large drive, say, a 60GB drive, is there any way
IDlwc> to approximate how much disk space will be needed for say 100 vservers?

Vservers go in their own directories

IDlwc> 3. (related to #2) Does each vserver have a full and complete installation
IDlwc> of Linux on it, or are utilities/applications shared between vservers?

Some stuff is copied, you could share apps using a symlink.

IDlwc> 4. How does vserver work with virtual web hosting with sharing IP addresses?
IDlwc> If I wanted each domain I host to be its own vserver, does each of them have
IDlwc> to have their own IP address, or can multiple vservers be on the same IP?
IDlwc> How would I configure Apache on each vserver with this in mind? Or *can* I
IDlwc> even run Apache on each vserver if each needs to bind to port 80?

Apache can do vhosting based on domains without vserver, so you can do more than one domain per ip (for apache
only).

IDlwc> 5. With regards to unique IP addresses, I currently have resellers who each
IDlwc> get a unique IP address, and their resale customers share their IP address
IDlwc> with the reseller ... should I just limit each reseller to their own vserver
IDlwc> then and use Apache's <VirtualHost> setup?

You could just give the reseller access to the vserver and let them do
the vhosting stuff.

IDlwc> Thanks for any info.

|Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan_at_despammed.com> http://www.m00.net|
| AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN: ^^ |
| "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you |
| know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know |
| nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9 |