From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Sat 22 Jun 2002 - 19:27:20 BST

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, John Lyons wrote:

> I've installed several spam packages on a vserver but not got as far as
> spamassassin.

Sorry I think I goofed up in my explanation. I'm trying to run it on the
main server for now.

> I'm not sure why you've needed to use IPtables/chains to get spamassassin
> running?

The daemonized version listens on a port and unless you want to let the
world use it it needs to be blocked. The default RHL 7.2 creates, for the
most part, the correct firewall rules.

> My only thoughts are that you've started spamassassin on the host server and
> that's bound itself to all of the Ip addresses on the server thereby making
> it impossible to start within a vs.

As above I'm only running it on the main server. I'm going to try plain
old Spamassassin next but really want the daemon version (less resources
and shorter start up time) running instead. If SA runs it will hold me
for awhile and I'll look into the init script v_* to see if it will solve
the problem.
   Wish I was more of a programmer and understood the network stuff
better. (Wish in one hand and spit in the other - see which fills first.)

Rod