From: Thomas Weber (l_vserver_at_mail2news.4t2.com)
Date: Tue 16 Apr 2002 - 11:09:15 BST

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:10:53AM +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> > i've got problems running samba in a vserver. On a share that's accessible
> > by multiple (Windows)users I get lockups on the client side when someone
> > tries to access a file that's already opened by another user.
>
> I get lock ups even when it's only me that tries to use samba, the
> lockup
> happens every other day. I've tried to use the same file with 2
> different
> processes. One that wrote to the file, and one that read from the file.
> dont get lockup's from that. I do however mount the smb share with
> linux.

I don't think you can compare linux with windows clients in this case due to
the VFS Layer and other Linux issues that won't show you this problem
immediately.

> > tested with 2.4.18ctx8 and 2.4.18ctx10 and samba 2.2.1a-4 on RH7.2.
> > Tell me if you need more information (this one is easily to reproduce).
>
> How ?? i can access files by 2 processes, how ever from the same machine
> without trouble. Sometimes when i write with one file, and read another
> file it locks up.

Don't test with Linux as a client.

> > any ideas?
>
> yeah, dont run samba ;-0
> At least not in a production environment. I'm the only user of my samba,
> so i can manage when i have to reboot.

That's a joke, isn't it?
I run samba for several hundreds of users for years without problems (of
course not within a vserver), it's one of the most reliable pieces of software
i've come across. Besides, there's just no alternative (at least none that's
as fast, cheap and stable).
I'm pretty sure this is a problem with file locking within the vserver, and not
a problem with samba itself.

  Tom

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3