From: Cedric Veilleux (cveilleux_at_videotron.ca)
Date: Sun 24 Mar 2002 - 20:47:33 GMT

> > As you can see, configuration files are not distinguished from
> > other files. Although, a list of directories containing configuration
> > files is maintained. On my workstation, this list looks like:
>
> you are talking about the CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
> variables in /etc/make.profile , right?

Yes, this is what I was refering to. CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK is not very relevant
here since the files under the directories in CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK are config
files just as well and should be treated the same way.

> > I know the "vbuild" program relies on rpm's to get the list of
> > files. I am not familiar with rpm's nor vservers (yet), so forgive me if
> > I am mistaken. So the vbuild program is the one I should modify to make
> > it use gentoo's portage system to get the list of installed packages and
> > their files, right?
>
> This sounds about right, and is something I have been meaning to get
> around to. You should also need to modify the vunify program and I'm not
> sure what-all else; I will give it a once-through myself tonight. Another
> good thing would be to create a set of alternate .ebuild files for gentoo
> ,such as sys-apps/baselayout, in order to make creating the initial
> vserver easier.

This sounds like an excellent idea. An ebuild file could be used under gentoo
instead of the newvserver script that is used under redhat. How could the new
vserver be configured? The newvserver script asks for the vserver name,
description, IP address, etc...

> Klavs' response seems spot-on as well.. I rememeber something a month or
> so ago about someone patching the vbuild script to handle debian's package
> manager, and had the forsight to generalize it.. I'll go look around for
> that, and forward you a copy of the relevant info.

Yes, I found a perl version of the vunify tool with a modular system that
currently supports debian. There also has been a disucussion about another
version of this tool completly independent from the distro, that scans 2
directories to find identical files and hardlink them.

The first one has been announced in this message:
http://vserver.vlad.net/list/0473.html

And the second:
http://vserver.vlad.net/list/0485.html

Cedric

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3