From: Paul Kreiner (deacon_at_thedeacon.org)
Date: Wed 06 Mar 2002 - 05:51:58 GMT

John Lyons said:
> Not in the list,
>
> nodev rootfs
> nodev bdev
> nodev proc
> nodev sockfs
> nodev tmpfs
> nodev shm
> nodev pipefs
> nodev binfmt_misc
> ext2
> iso9660
> nodev nfs
> nodev autofs
> nodev devpts
>
>>From the boot.log
> Mar 6 16:28:00 svr9 rc.sysinit: Checking filesystems succeeded
> Mar 6 16:28:00 svr9 rc.sysinit: Mounting local filesystems: failed
> Mar 6 16:28:00 svr9 mount: mount: fs type ext3 not supported by kernel

Yep, so it's not getting compiled in. At least we know that much.

> SIS5513: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 01
> sis900.c: v1.08.01 9/25/2001
> eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 10, 00:e0:18:46:05:41.
Is the SIS support on your system something you have to add in (patch) the
kernel to get, or just a config parameter you turn on? I see you
say "patch" elsewhere in your mail, so that's my assumption. Question: can
you get the IDE controller to work w/the unpatched 2.4.18? Or do you have
to patch to even recognize it?

> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>
>>From my .config
>
> # CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
> CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
> CONFIG_JBD=y
> # CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG is not set
So it looks like it should be compiling in. Just a thought, do you do a
full "make dep && make clean && make bzImage" after saving your
new .config? I've seen skipping the mkdep cause some problems. Also, some
silly stuff ... you're remembering to edit lilo.conf and invoke "lilo",
right? And you doublechecked you're booting the kernel you've built?

> The same machine was used to compile ctx-5 and I can't remember needing
> to enable Ext3 file system support in that. Just get the feeling that
> I'm either editing the wrong defconfig file or the file with the new
> config isn't being used. (I recall having to look for the .config file
> the last time, just wondering if there's something amiss there?)
So, maybe a little step-by-step here would help pinpoint the trouble... (1)
unpack the original 2.4.18 tarball, make config, build it, and boot (if
possible). Do you have ext3 support? If not, then it sounds like a prob
with your build environment or with 2.4.18 (which I doubt, 'cause there
would have been screaming already). (2) If the previous works, then patch
ctx8 in, make clean, and build again. Do you get ext3 working now? If
not, then perhaps ctx8 broke something. (3) If so, then patch in your
network card and hard disk patches, make clean, and build yet again. If it
works now, you should be good to go. If not, then the SiS patches are
probably at fault.

> Only other thing I can think of is that I need to load something? to
> freshen the modules?
> I've just untared the kernel source, patched, configured and built and
> installed. Sould I have done something else before hand to get back to
> a fresher system? (Sorry just wild stabs in the dark now :-( )
My first guess is something in your build environment is wacky and/or
the .config file you're editing isn't the one being used to build. To test
that, try *removing* ext2 support and building/booting the resulting
kernel. It should be rather unhappy - if not, and ext2 is still built in,
then your .config changes are not being used.

The NIC and HDC patches shouldn't touch FS code, so that shouldn't be a
problem. The ctx8 patch does touch FS code, but I think if it broke ext3
we'd have heard about it by now.

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3