From: Wray Cason (wrayman_at_auxiliumcomputing.com)
Date: Wed 27 Feb 2002 - 17:10:54 GMT

> Being able to sync a hot standby server (say using rsync)
> or some other package and only backing up the live changing
> data every hour or so would be a fantastic step forward. (I
> know rsync already will do this but over 10 or 20 vservers
> file systems the memory usage would be too high to run it very
> frequently)

This is very similar to a problem I have been wrestling with. My best
solution so far is to use mirrordir
http://mirrordir.sourceforge.net/mirrordir.php
on top of nfs. By running the mirrordir process on the standby system, I
can save the production system the stress. Of course, the nfs daemon on the
production system is quite busy. This is not an adequate solution in my
opinion. Ideally, I want to mirror the production file system in real
time. I just don't know if that is possible without investing in some
hardware solution.

--
Wray Cason "Wrayman"
Auxilium Computing

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3