From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu 14 Feb 2002 - 01:37:31 GMT

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:26:25 -0500, Paul Kreiner wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Just a query - I've been maintaining my own patches to keep vserver in sync
> with -ac kernels ('cause I like their stability better than the vanilla
> tree) and also running on XFS-patched kernels.
>
> For instance, I've currently got patches against 2.4.17-xfs, 2.4.18-pre9-
> ac2, and 2.4.18-pre9-ac2-xfs. Note that I don't use vunify, so I doubt
> that XFS would work with it out-of-the-box, but the rest of the vserver
> functionality is there.

xfs supports extended attributes, so I guess very little must be added to
support immutable-linkage-invert.

> Would this be something useful to anyone else on the list?

I think so. Send me the URL and I will put it in the FAQ.

I will release ctx-8 and vserver-0.11 this week. It comes with a little
helper for such projects: The system call numbers are extracted from
the running kernel. Those utilities (chbind, chcontext and friends) used the
current system call number (226 and 227) by default, but can probe the kernel to
find out the current value of those syscall. To make it short, the utility now
works with older ctx kernel and with newer, even if the system call number
have changed. No need to recompile the utilities. This should help until
the vserver concept make its way in the standard kernel.

Note also that ftp.solucorp.qc.ca/pub/vserver/patches always contains relative
patches (ctx-6 to ctx-7 and so on), so you should be able to track the change
very easily.

Thanks!