From: klavs klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Sat 09 Feb 2002 - 18:36:10 GMT

Thank you John, for taking the time.

On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 15:33, John Lyons wrote:
> We were looking for something that would allow us to deliver dedicated
> server style hosting packages on a shared hosting platform. Ensim and
> FreeVSD were considered, Ensim was dismissed from day 1 as it's a paid for
> package. We couldn't compete with FreeBSD and FreeVSD hosts if we had to
> take a large software cost into account.
>
> I'd monitored the mailing list for FreeVSD for over 12 months and tried on
> many occasions to get it working over the last 12 months. I'm not an
> experienced sys admin, I've been using Linux servers for 3 years, I don't
> have a desktop Linux box but I do run 10 Linux servers quite well.
>
> My biggest worries with FreeVSD were:-
>
> What happens when FreeVSD needs upgrading to the next version, am I going to
> struggle?
> If the host server starts playing up am I going to be able to fix it?
> Do I understand enough about the nuts and bolts of FreeVSD to be able to
> trouble shoot if something goes wrong?
I get your worries. It shouldn't be so hard. It didn't look so hard to
me, but then again, the RPM's I downloaded didn't contain a kernel
patch, or even a kernel. But after what I've heard from you guys, and
seeing as I haven't gotten (almost) any response from freevsd
mailinglist, it does seem as freevsd is dying.

> I've read the documentation cover to cover and read most messages on the
> mailing list for 12 months. It may be that I'm just thick :) but I still
> don't fell confident with it. The answers to the above questions ruled out
> using it on a mission critical system.
>
> > I would very much like to know your purpose for using a product like
> > vserver, and what makes it the best for you.
>
> I installed vserver for the first time in Dec. It worked first time and I'd
> got a vserver running after 20 mins work and reading the docs. Problems
> like needing CAP_NET_RAW in the conf file were fixed after a quick mail to
> the mailing list, a big DOH!, & slap on the forehead. Within 48 hours of
> starting to use vserver I'd patched and compiled my first kernel, something
> I'd never dared to do before.
>
> What's most important is that there are examples in the documentation to
> explain what each addition to the kernel does. I understand how and why
> vserver works and with my limited knowledge and experience that's a good
> thing!
I agree.

> I now have two non production servers. One runs 5 live vs's the other backs
> them up to provide hardware failover. I'm 3 weeks into basic testing trials
> with 5 customer. A fuller scale trial starts with another 5 customers in 3
> weeks time after I hope to have upgraded both servers to ctx-10. In the next
> 4 to 8 weeks we're hoping that we'll have done enough testing to launch the
> vserver as the basis for a new hosting package. So far so good, no serious
> bugs found and all is going well.
sounds good. Nice to know.

> If you're a serious/experienced sys admin it'll take you 30 to 60 mins to
> down load and install vserver on a test machine and then you can get a feel
> for it. (I'd put money on you not being able to do that with FreeVSD)
well.. I've setup and administered cnn.dk, bt.dk, berlingske.dk (last 2
are biggest newspapers in DK - bt.dk alone has approx 3 mill. pageviews
a week) and 17 other sites for the last 3 years :-) - does give you some
experience.I've just quit my job, to be an independant Open Source
Consultant.. having fun.

Do you know, if I can run OpenLDAP, Samba, Apache+php and MySQL on a
vserver?

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - OpenSource Consultant kl_at_vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA --------------------[ I believe that... ]----------------------- It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do... That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3