From: John Lyons (support_at_nsnoc.com)
Date: Mon 07 Jan 2002 - 00:18:06 GMT

> I know I can have one httpd daemon per vserver and launch them
> like so:
>
> apache/httpd -d /vserver/one/httpd.conf
> apache/httpd -d /vserver/two/httpd.conf
> etc...

I'm still only learning about vserver at the moment but I think the above is
wrong.

The httpd daemon would launch from within the vserver using the default conf
location at startup so there wouldn't be any need or ability to launch 150
daemons from the host server specifying each httpd.conf file. (Someone tell
me if I'm wrong here!)

I've got a default vserver install down to 270mb in size that's lost some of
the extra languages for compiling software but still includes things like
perl and gcc. I suspect that you need to look at vbuild and vunify for
linking gcc, perl etc to the packages on the host server. From memory
someones saved about 70mb doing these two packages alone.

I'm also interested in getting a slimmed down vserver so if anyone can beat
270mb and still keep sufficient functionality let me know :-)

I'll send you are vs.conf file if you email direct. It's not that complex.

Regards

John Lyons
DomainCity
http://www.domaincity.co.uk