From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Tue 04 Dec 2001 - 04:59:37 GMT

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:03:31 -0500, Luc Stepniewski wrote
> Hello,
>
> I'm using vserver since the version 0.5, and I find it really cool. But
> I noticed a trend in the development, where more and more dependencies
> are introduced on the distribution.
> If you don't have a RPM based system, vbuild will not work at all.

vbuild and vunify have to use a packaging system to learn which file may
be unified or not. So for now, it is rpm. Given there is no link to rpm (librpm
I mean), supporting rpm and deb from the same utility would be easy.
I know little about deb, but I guess there is a way to extract

        the list of packages installed with there version
        the list of file owned by those package
        The attribute of those files: configuration file or not.

> These
> dependencies are hard coded in the C files. The init scripts are using
> /etc/rc.d/init.d. This path is being obsoleted, even under the latest
> Redhats based systems.

the vserver script may be made smart enough to use the available init.d
path. The new standard is /etc/init.d I believe and few older distribution are using
/sbin/init.d.

> I made a port of vserver for Debian, and modified the vserver build part
> to use the pbuilder package from debian to extract a fresh new
> filesystem. I recoded the vbuild C program in python (much easier to
> maintain, it takes just 122 lines of code, with comments :-).

Hum...

> If I'm allowed to

Why not

>, I'll post the files/patches here, as soon as I have
> it cleaned a little.

I am insterested in the DEB handling and the debian specific things. If you can
send diffs