From: Ciaran Deignan (ciaran.deignan_at_netcelo.com)
Date: Wed 07 Nov 2001 - 12:52:23 GMT

> Can't you do what you want by simply using two default routes? Then the
> reply packets should be sent out whichever interface they came in on
> (routed by virtue of their source IP address).

while you can define two routes to any destination, the networking
stack only ever takes the first one it finds.

I've never found any feature to route according to the source IP
address, and I've looked. I did read the advanced-routing how-to,
but the answer isn't there.

I don't think iptables/netfilter is the place to do this, since
they "just" do filtering. The packet still gets handed to the
nomal routing infrastructure. I've never identified the
person/group leading the basic IP implementation...

Oh well,

Ciaran